Top Latex Mattress Reviews
Mattresses need to be chosen carefully, as they can provide you lots of physical and mental discomfort if they don’t suit you. More often than not, people wake up with severe joint pains and neck pains after a disturbed sleep during the night, because their mattress was too firm or too uncomfortable for them. You need to do careful research and understand about the various types of mattresses that are available to you, their pros and cons, price range and finally decide the one that is great for you. In this article, we are going to understand about latex mattresses and their advantages over other types.
Latex, as we all know is made from the sap of the rubber tree. Mattresses made using this material are considered to be extremely comfortable for one’s body. If you are wondering how this is possible, it is because latex is naturally soft and its character is to get firm as you use it. Unlike foam beds that sink in and make you uncomfortable to get out of, these latex mattresses are firm and allow you to relax well during the night. Another important point to note on these mattresses is that they don’t give out any heat.
Latest Latex Mattress Reviews
Benefits of latex mattresses
Some of the benefits that you get by using latex mattresses are the following:
- These mattresses provide great lumbar support and are, therefore, highly recommended for people with chronic pain in their joints and spinal cord.
- Natural latex mattresses do not contain any chemical, synthetic or toxic additives; therefore, they are not only safe for your body but also safe for the environment.
- The natural characteristic of latex is to allow more air circulation as it has an open cell structure. You will be able to breathe well and without any hassles when you sleep on latex mattresses.
- Latex is resistant to dust, bacteria and the like. This makes these mattresses suitable for people who have very sensitive skin and are allergic to these elements.
- These mattresses are quite firm, which means they don’t give into body movements during sleep. They remain steady and durable, irrespective of how much you move in your sleep.
- These mattresses have the unique characteristic of distributing body pressure evenly so that you feel relaxed and rejuvenated after a good night’s sleep.
- Latex mattresses are priced higher than their counterparts because they are durable and can be used for many years without any problems.
- Almost all latex mattresses that are of high quality come with a warranty of at least ten years, which speaks volumes about their durability.
Processes involved in manufacturing latex mattresses
The sap from the rubber tree is in a liquid form, and it is converted into a solid form by a process known as vulcanization. This solid and thick rubber is the one that is used for making latex mattresses. There are two processes followed in vulcanization – Dunlop and Talalay. Dunlop method is the oldest method of making pure and natural latex mattresses. From this process, you can get high-quality, durable latex that is apt to be used as the core support for the mattresses. Talalay is a new-age vulcanization method, which also produces natural and high-quality latex. The major difference in both these processes is that, in the latter, you get softer quality of latex that is apt for making plush and velvet beds and in the former you get firm and hard latex. In Talalay process, soft latex is obtained by introducing air bubbles into the liquid latex, just before it is heated to form the thick rubber.
What to note while buying latex mattresses
You might have decided to buy latex mattresses considering the health benefits that come along with them. However, when you choose the wrong type, the very purpose of investing in this mattress gets defeated. Some of the important points that you need to take care of while buying these latex mattresses are explained below:
- Type of latex
Needless to say, this is the first point that you should check while buying latex mattresses. If you want all the goodness of latex, its firm quality, durability and health benefits, you should purchase mattresses that are made from 100% pure and natural latex. When the latex is solely collected from Hevea Brasiliensis (botanical name of rubber tree), it is natural latex. When a polymerized monomer is included in latex, it becomes other kinds of latex. You should check the labels of the mattresses and look for the products thoroughly so that you can find out if your mattress is made of natural or synthetic rubber. A synthetic blended latex mattress is also a good choice. However, in this case, you need to cross check that no other toxic materials are mixed with your latex.
- Texture of mattress
If you are quite sure about getting latex mattresses for your home, you should know by now, that there are two main textures that you can expect – firm and soft. Firm and steady mattresses are those that are made from Dunlop Latex whereas the soft and plush mattresses are those that are made from Talalay Latex. If you are a lover of soft beds, you should inspect your mattress thoroughly if the softness is because of Talalay latex or because of some other low-quality Topper stitched on top of the core layer.
- Layers of mattress
You should know whether you need a single layer of mattress or multi-layers of mattress before you start shopping. Experts recommend buying multi-layers of mattress because this way, you can rearrange it the way you want, as per your convenience. You can have the soft latex layers on top and place the firm ones as the core layer. You can try a different combination after some time and see what works best for you. It is always better to have more layers because it saves you a great deal of money in the long run when you need to add or remove mattresses for some reason.