The word “eco-friendly” is being tossed around more and more, and many people are starting to look for more eco-friendly options for almost everything they use. There's containers for your lunch made from recycled materials, cars run on bio-fuel, and even cleaning supplies are starting to be eco-friendly. You can even purchase an eco-friendly mattress to sleep on every night. But what exactly does eco-friendly mean?
It means that the environment is a very large concern when creating, manufacturing and distributing a product. It means the manufacturer tries to use methods that have the smallest impact on the environment, like using fast-growing bamboo instead of slower-growing trees or even plastics. Below are some things you're going to want to keep in mind if you're looking to lessen your impact on the environment by purchasing a mattress that's eco-friendly.
So, What Is a Mattress That's Eco-Friendly?
One thing you may have noticed is there are now mattresses that are eco-friendly as well. These mattresses are specifically designed with the environment in mind, so they are made from eco-friendly materials and packaged so they don't make as much of an impact on the environment when they're shipped.
These mattresses are typically made from plant-based memory foam or all natural latex. The materials that make up the outside of the bed are usually cotton, bamboo or natural animal fibers. When they're packaged, they're squished and rolled into the smallest shape possible. This allows more to be transported in the same amount of space so there's less fuel being used per mattress.
Why Do You Want One?
These mattresses are good for the environment, but there are more reasons you're going to want one. Traditional mattresses are made from chemicals, like man-made latex or memory foam, and the bedding materials are polyester.
These chemicals are not only bad for the environment, they can be very bad for you as well. You can inhale or absorb the chemicals while you sleep on the bed, and over time more chemicals can be released from the bed. The synthetic fibers that make up traditional mattresses have been linked to allergies and respiratory problems, and in some cases to cancer.
An eco friendly mattress is a non toxic mattress. The way the mattresses are made do not involve the use of chemicals, which is better for both the environment and you. The natural fibers that make up both the inside of the mattress and the bedding do not have any toxic chemicals to leak out, making them much safer for you to sleep on night after night.
Pros of These Mattresses
- These mattresses are made from all natural materials, which doesn't have as much of an effect on the environment as traditional mattresses do.
- The eco friendly bedding is comfortable and doesn't leak any toxic chemicals into the air or onto your skin.
- These mattresses are known to be cooler than traditional mattresses, which means you don't get as hot sleeping on them.
- These mattresses can last much longer than traditional mattresses and are more durable.
- They can be packaged in a minimalist way so more can be shipped at one time, using less fuel.
- An eco friendly bed can be made with a sturdy frame instead of a box spring, meaning the entire bed ships in less space than a traditional mattress does.
Cons of These Mattresses
- These mattresses are known to be a little bit more expensive than traditional mattresses, so you may be hard pressed to find one if you have a very small budget.
- Eco-friendly is not something that is well regulated, so you have to do some research to ensure a product is really eco-friendly before you purchase it.
- These mattresses will still need to be flame-retardant, so you'll have to look carefully to find a mattress that does this without the toxic chemicals. Wool is a good choice as it's naturally flame-retardant.
If you're in the market for a new bed, you're going to want to be looking for the most comfortable bed you can to ensure you're going to get a good night's sleep. Part of that good night's sleep should include the ability to sleep without having to worry about inhaling or absorbing toxic chemicals the whole time you're sleeping.
You may also want to ensure that the sleep you're getting is on a mattress that doesn't impact the environment as much while it's being produced or delivered. In order to do this, you're going to want to look at the mattresses on the market that are environmentally friendly.
While they may be a little bit more expensive than your traditional mattress, you'll be able to get a good night's sleep. You'll sleep soundly knowing you're not being exposed to toxic chemicals and that your purchase had a smaller impact on the environment than a traditional mattress would. Start looking at these mattresses today to find the perfect mattress for you.